Purpose of the Position
The Manager, Finance & Analytics will join a fast-pace team that provides financial and operational analysis to support key strategic, operational and financial decisions across the organization. The team works closely with senior executives and the Board of Directors on key priorities facing the organization and serves as advisors to UMA’s senior leaders. The team has a strong focus on identifying opportunities to drive growth and generate efficiencies.
A successful candidate will have a strong combination of analytical skills, effective storytelling and problem solving, will be focused on results, a self-starter and have a demonstrated success in using analytics to drive decisions. In addition, a successful candidate will be able to work effectively in a fast-paced, changing, entrepreneurial and data driven environment, and have experience in successfully managing projects and junior analysts.
This position requires significant interactions with senior executives on an individual and group basis to support the decision making, planning and execution process. Strong communication and organization skills are required to work effectively across departments and across levels (from junior analysts to President).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and conduct data analysis to support the identification, evaluation, and resolution of strategic opportunities
- Identify creative ways to solve problems that create value
- Engage with cross functional stakeholders to gather data and develop insights; help deliver insights and recommendations to senior executives
- Prepare analytical reports to communicate findings and insights to internal teams—to drive action and quantifiable business outcomes
- Manage the process of measuring, tracking and reporting results of initiatives that are underway
- Liaise with all business units on financial and operating matters
- Provide support with the budgeting and planning process
- Identify opportunities for process improvements to drive efficiencies and simplification
- Manage, mentor and develop junior analysts on the team
- Participate in additional projects as they arise
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
- Graduate degree with a specialization in analytics, statistics, data science, business or similar from a top tier University (required)
- 5+ years’ experience in roles of increasing independence and responsibility, with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in financial, operational modeling, data analytics/reporting, corporate strategy, or other relevant field (required)
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills with proven ability to turn findings into executable plans (required)
- Management experience (preferred)
- Financial modeling and project leadership experience as well as advanced Excel and SQL (preferred)
- Understanding of statistical analyses and models (preferred)
Associated Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Analytical thinker/mind-set with proven ability to solve complex problems and understand organizational needs in order to recommend additional or alternative ways to achieve results
- Ability and willingness to problem-solve independently and take ownership of projects
- Excellent oral and written communications and interpersonal skills, with ability to communicate effectively with senior management
- Personal time-management skills and a bias for action
- Detail and deadline oriented, diligent, with ability to understand the big picture
- Ability to tackle multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize and adjust priorities as business needs shift
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to travel as needed (up to 30% of time)
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Requires long periods of sitting at a desk working on a computer
- Requires occasional bending, stooping and squatting
- Requires occasional lifting of up to 10 lbs.