Purpose of the Position
This position is responsible for designing stable and reliable data warehouses per our company’s needs. You will be responsible for developing, testing, improving and maintaining new and existing warehouse components to help users retrieve data effectively.
As part of our development team, you will work closely with the data warehouse architect and business stakeholders to ensure system consistency. You will also collaborate with developers and clients to provide technical support and identify new requirements. Communication and organization skills are keys for this position, along with a problem-solution attitude.
Ultimately, you should be able to ensure our data warehouse systems run effectively and securely by developing a web interface to support the business key performance indicators and system monitor performance and reliability.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the design, to support a stable data warehouse. Will be responsible for maintaining the web server, applications and interface to the data warehouse.
- Modify databases API’s as requested to support performance of the warehouse and the business KPI’s.
- Gather user requirements and identify new features
- Develop technical and training manuals
- Provide management support to users through the warehouse management systems web-application.
- Ensure all data warehouse web applications meet business and performance requirements.
- Research and suggest web products, services and protocols
- Responsible for providing trend analysis to management team to enable them to make informed decisions regarding resource management.
- Work to ensure that the associated hardware resources allocated to the web server are configured for high resilience and are tuned for optimum performance.
- When web server performance issues arise, determine the most effective way to increase performance including hardware purchases, server configuration changes, or index/query changes
- Identify and partner with developers to remediate inefficient or suboptimal performance of queries, processes, or data structures
- Troubleshoot Web Server service outages as they occur, including after-hours and weekends
- Strong working knowledge of SQL, Stored Procedures and Java Script, HTML, CSS, .NET framework, jQuery, , JSON, RESTFUL Web Services, Facebook API, Google API, Instagram API, Twitter API, Google Analytics Custom Events
- Cloud/Hosting: Azure
- Implement, and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans web hosting administration and appropriate use
- Develop and deploy methodologies for testing web services performance and providing performance statistics and reports
- Establish best practices and policies for installing, configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting end user access and usage of web applications
- On-call availability for after hours, as needed
- Overtime hours may be required to meet project deadlines
- Develops and enforces web administration and user standards and procedures
- This position at UMA participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure, and ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to best practices.
- Ensuring compliance with all security requirements
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
- 5+ years data web development experience (required)
- Web developer knowledge
- Proven work experience as a Web developer
- In-depth understanding of Web management (e.g. permissions, recovery, security and monitoring)
- Knowledge of software development and user interface web applications
- Hands on experience with Web technologies, including visual studio, .NET
- Excellent analytical and organization skills
- An ability to understand front-end users requirements and a problem-solving attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- BSc degree in Computer Science or relevant field
Associated Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong problem identification, troubleshooting, and documentation skills
- Experience managing multiple MS SQL 2008 R2, MS SQL 2012 databases on enterprise systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Operating Systems (Server 2008 and 2012)
- Working knowledge with NetApp or other enterprise storage and experience with
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Requires long periods of sitting at a desk working on a computer