Purpose of the Position
The Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis must have superior organization and communication skills, while maintaining strong attention to detail in a fast-paced environment. In this role, you will lead a team and perform financial analysis and reporting activities to support short-term and long-term strategic plans and operating budgets. Identifies performance issues and makes recommendations to senior management for corrective actions. You will help others understand our financials and be a trusted advisor to internal and external stakeholders.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the FP&A team. Coach, develop, assign responsibility, review output.
- Analyze monthly departmental P&L statements
- Provide verbal and written commentary to recurring variances to plan and unplanned expenditures
- Provide guidance on run rate impact of variances, actions to mitigate adverse variances and reporting on rest of year budget
- Research budget-related and other various financial inquiries from business owners
- Prepare ad hoc reconciliations (revenue, expenses, labor)
- Oversee the review general ledger transaction detail to flag inconsistencies in coding
- Make recommendations to improve accuracy & formulate adjusting journal entries as needed
- Manage the preparation of headcount/rate analysis by department
- Maintain highest level of confidentiality with sensitive pay rate information
- Assist in identifying opportunities for improved headcount efficiency
- Assist senior management with strategic decision making
- Highlight areas of risk to P&L targets
- Isolate and quantify drivers of variance
- Scenario/sensitivity analysis
- Play lead role budget creation and operational planning activities during year-end
- Quarterly rolling forecasts and/or reforecast
- Help streamline current operational and budget-related processes
- Analysis of major internal and external metrics that will be used as benchmarks against which our operating companies are measured
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance/economics from a top-tier college/university (required), or MBA from same (preferred)
- 5+ years in financial planning & analysis, or related corporate finance/accounting field (required)
- Demonstrated critical problem solving skills and strong attention to detail (required)
- Exceptional knowledge of Excel including advanced functions, excellent formatting and presentation skills (required), experience building complex financial models (preferred)
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of data into snapshots appropriate for senior management use (required)
- Strong communication skills, specifically an ability/willingness to communicate effectively with senior management (required). Experience developing business presentations and related supporting documents.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new systems (required), prior experience using Great Plains, Management Reporter, Concur, Marketplace (preferred)
Associated Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics
- Positive attitude, team player (required)
- Highly motivated, comfortable working independently (required)
- High energy, high ownership of work product and dedication and commitment to driving results (required)
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed (required)