Purpose of the Position
The Human Resources Leave Administration Coordinator provides support to employees, supervisors and managers by providing timely, accurate information in the areas of Leave of Absence policies and procedures. Responsible for ensuring compliance with all state/federal leave laws in coordination with related company policies. Advises employee and their supervisor on leave options, rights and responsibilities, benefits and required communication while on leave. Follows administrative processes, procedures and provides employee support/education to ensure adherence to established benefit plans, company policies and procedures, and applicable state and federal laws.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Create, document and maintain solid operational processes and practices to ensure compliance and consistency in the execution and administration of leaves of absence.
- Manages employee situations pertaining to Leave of Absence administration which includes Short Term Disability, Federal and State Medical Leave and Unpaid LOA, including the complicated and unique leaves in CA.
- Communicates leave information to employees, including but not limited to communicating Medical, Dental, Life, STD, LTD and leave eligibility, informing employee of their rights, enrollment requirements and ability to make changes under UMA policy and applicable state and federal leave laws.
- Coordinates with third party administrator to ensure that they secure and provide analysis of information pertaining to employee’s eligibility status, medical condition(s), occupational or employer requirements, and statutory regulations to accurately determine eligibility for leave.
- Develop appropriate Leave Management strategies to ensure prompt and accurate decisions.
- Responds to moderately complex inquiries from employees and managers regarding LOA issues and information requests.
- Monitors and tracks critical dates in the leave cycle and communicates with the employee and manager as appropriate.
- Demonstrates an in depth understanding of company HR policies and processes related to FMLA, Medical Non-FMLA, Military, and General LOAs.
- Develops leave related reports; monitors trends, provides insights and recommendations for action to HR/business leaders to improve employee experience while effectively managing costs
- Participates in policy & program rollout initiatives.
- Performs additional duties and projects, as assigned.
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
- 2 - 4 years of HRIS experience (required), UltiPro (preferred)
- Minimum 2 years experience in the administration/explanation of LOA policies/procedures (required)
- Strong Microsoft skills (required)
- Experience with end user customer support (required)
Associated Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated experience interacting with employees at all levels and providing excellent customer service
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong attention to detail, organizational and follow through skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to handle and manage multiple assignments and projects while effectively balancing schedules and ad hoc requests
- Knowledge of general Benefit policies/programs and the ability to communicate such in a concise way to employees
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Requires long periods of sitting at a desk working on a computer
- Requires occasional bending, stooping and squatting
- Requires occasional lifting of up to 10 lbs.