Purpose of the Position
This position is primarily responsible for Application development and maintenance of the respective Product Group’s portfolio of products/Applications. In addition, this individual will:
- Strongly influence UMA’s Application feature sets and product mix
- Influence UMA’s processes on assigned projects
- Provide new development and existing product maintenance, including but not limited to exploring new platforms and technologies as well as enhancing existing Application Suite
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Works independently and successfully in unsupervised work environments and is capable of making sound business decisions consistently, without supervisors guidance
- Participates in all stages of development life cycle
- Contributes to peer review to assure application correctness
- Writes unit tests for Application and production code, with high level of coverage and effectiveness
- Develop software to solve complex, uncertain, and/or business critical problems
- Provide assistance to customer (Business Unit) inquires/projects. Demonstrates customer advocacy
- Demonstrates mastery of source control practices and methodology
- Plans tasks and provides task estimates for review
- Demonstrates initiative in application definition or process improvements
- Demonstrates familiarity with competitive products and applies that knowledge when benchmarking against UMA’s Application Suite
- Communicates software designs effectively for review by others
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other math or computer related disciplines; 5 or more years of real industry experience in software development in a variety of roles on a variety of projects; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Associated Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Minimum of 4 or more years of experience in C\C++\C#
- Willingness and demonstrated aptitude to learn additional coding skills, such as:
- Visual Basic, C++, C#, Objective-C,VB.NET
- Knowledge of Visual Studio Team Services, Visual Studio 2017, Team Foundation Server.
- Comfortable in work in a loosely defined Agile Scrum process
- Proven ability to work closely with other software engineers as a member of the team
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Service Orientation - Responds promptly to UMA’s business unit needs; Solicits feedback to improve service; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- May require long periods of sitting at a desk working on a computer
- May require occasional bending, stooping and squatting
- May require occasional lifting of up to 10 lbs.