Purpose of the Position
Employee Relations Business Partner is responsible for resolving all employee relations matters throughout UMA, and for oversight of employee policies, processes and procedures in accordance with Federal, State, and local employment law.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides advice and counsel to management and staff on all policies and procedures.
- Makes recommendations that effectively resolve problems, by using judgment consistent within standards, policies, and procedures supporting Federal, State, and local employment law.
- Works with management, human resources staff, legal counsel and employees to investigate, document and resolve alleged violations of law and charges of discrimination or harassment; prepares report of findings and recommends corrective action.
- Works in concert with management and employees to ensure a respectful environment and investigates and assists with the equitable resolution of internal employee complaints.
- Analyzes internal trends, as well as external market forces, to make recommendations to improve morale and reduce business risk.
- Builds relationships with all employees in order to foster a more open and communicative environment, and provides support to all employees in relation to understanding Company policies.
- Collaborates with business units to create, implement, monitor and report on employee engagement initiatives.
- Monitors feedback from various sources including new hire surveys, employment engagement surveys, exit interviews and social media to understand possible areas of risk, departmental culture and needs.
- Supports the HR department in implementing and administering programs to help improve the employee experience. Assists in development and implementation of human resource policies and procedures.
- Provides high-quality advice and service to management of all levels on daily employee relations and performance management issues.
- Acts as an employee advocate providing coaching and advisory services.
- Improves manager and employee performance by identifying and clarifying problems; evaluating potential solutions, coaching and counseling managers and employees.
- Manages employee relations issues from beginning to end, including partnering with employees on performance improvement plans, investigating complaints, issuing performance warnings and managing separations.
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Business or related field required.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a Human Resources Generalist / Business Partner and more than 3 years’ experience in Employee Relations required.
- Preferred minimum of 4 years of experience in a role with responsibility of driving change and delivering on a people agenda.
- Preferred minimum of 4 years of demonstrated project management skills with a solid track record of driving and implementing HR initiatives independently.
- PHR/SPHR preferred.
Associated Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to partner effectively with stakeholders at every level of the organization and manage relationships with poise and candor.
- Demonstrated sound judgment and problem-solving skills as well as the ability to engage effectively at all levels of the organization and be a strong contributing team member.
- Experience managing complex employee relations issues, investigating and reporting on complaints and managing terminations.
- Quickly establish credentials and credibility as the HR subject matter expert.
- Results orientation, creative problem solving, high quality decision making with a strong mindset for continuous improvement to meet or exceed expectations.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal/written, communication and presentation skills
- Good working knowledge of U.S. employment laws and Florida state employment laws
- Experience with AAP, EEO and Compliance.
- Desire to work as part of a team with a result driven approach.
- Aptitude in problem-solving and ability to resolve conflicts.
- Solid attention to detail; ability to prioritize
- Excellent time management and multitasking skills
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Requires long periods of sitting at a desk working on a computer
- Requires occasional bending, stooping and squatting
- Requires occasional lifting of up to 10 lbs.