Purpose of the Position:
The Chair of Student and Career Success directly supervises lead faculty and faculty in student and career success courses. As such, the Chair is responsible for day-to-day faculty support functions, student and career success courses, at-risk student interventions, team operations and department initiatives. To support retention, graduation and placement success across programs, the Chair of Student and Career Success provides direct outreach and assistance to support instructor adherence to the UMA Faculty Commitment to Excellence with an emphasis on the effective use of scaffolding tools, discussion posts/prompts, prevention and intervention strategies, student outreach, assignment feedback, and curricular enhancements.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
- Evaluate (interim and annually) instructors and provide formal feedback related to call and learning lab quality, student satisfaction and retention, placement, and student learning outcomes.
- Ensures and supports the implementation of team processes that lead to student success and contribute to the company’s overall retention, placement, and student outcome goals.
- Collaborate with Program and General Education leadership, as well as other instructor teams to identify and implement continuous improvement strategies.
- Contributes to and participate in virtual and face-to-face meetings as required.
- Partners effectively with Deans/Associate Deans, Program Directors, Chairs/Associate, and Curriculum to refine UMA’s approach to curriculum, instruction, assessment and remediation
- Partners effectively with Program Directors, Chairs/Associate Chairs as well as Program, Student and Faculty Affairs teams to support Taskforce Meetings, Advisory Boards, UMA Cares, Student Code of Conduct, Scholastic Honesty, Disability Services, Faculty Training and Support, Annual Summit, and Commencement.
Results and Accountability
- Oversees Student and Career Success lead faculty and faculty as assigned.
- Works with faculty to ensure student progress in the key indicator areas of student performance, engagement, persistence, and growth.
- Collect quality monitoring data and provides coaching to faculty based on the identified areas of need.
- Conduct ongoing call and lab monitoring to assess service quality, providing regular team and individual feedback, escalating any evaluate successes and address areas needing improvement.
- Coach and mentor instructors on executing high quality and compliant calls and learning labs.
- Participates in data-driven initiatives to improve student success as assigned by the Education Department leadership.
- Holds faculty accountable to meet established goals and provides coaching as appropriate to improve individual performance as well as course health.
- Monitor and support the implementation of the team’s adopted coaching cycle and recognized best practices.
Data-Driven Decision Making
- Facilitates data chats with Education leadership and faculty regarding courses, student outcomes and trends to identify areas of improvement and recommend possible solutions.
- Participates in cross content collaboration and effective problem-solving to develop action plans focused on the quality of curriculum and instruction as well as multi-tiered supports/interventions.
- Provides the support needed to ensure student progress that facilitates, fosters, and promotes prevention and early intervention practices supported by collaborative efforts between instructors and advisors for students across programs.
- Continuously reviews data to determine effectiveness of core and supplemental instruction including outcome measures (student performance, engagement, persistence, and growth) and progress monitoring data toward identified department and institutional goals.
- Manages and supports instructors in their roles as assigned as well as in their career progressions.
- Conducts faculty observations and evaluations to support progress toward annual individual development plan goals.
- Ensure timely and effective team response to coaching requests, ensure a positive student experience and intervene as necessary to address or add value to the student experience.
- Effectively market the department to increase institutional and student use of instructor services and resources.
- Establishes and maintains a positive, student-centered work environment for employees.
- Assumes leadership role in faculty meetings, Education Department leadership meetings, Taskforce meetings, Advisory boards and other working groups as assigned.
- Models online education best practices, effective teaching/coaching techniques and collegial, and positive environment that promotes excellence in teaching and service.
- Exemplify proper business acumen and online decorum and require the same of staff.
- Participates in and provides input on the curriculum development and review processes.
- Performs other duties or special projects as assigned/required.
- Master Degree in Education or related field required.
- Three (3) or more years of education administrative and/or supervisory experience with teams in the delivery of academic and/or social services as well as student retention initiatives required.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in online education or proprietary industry preferred.
- Proven track record of delivering successful results with non-traditional students required.
- Online teaching experience in an accredited post-secondary institution preferred.
- Extensive experience with MS office suite particularly Word and Excel required.
- Experience with Blackboard Learn 9.1 and CampusVue experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills Core Attributes, and Abilities Required:
- Upholds the highest standards of conduct, personal honesty and integrity.
- Demonstrates vision and understands the mission and purpose of a career college.
- Employs sound independent judgment, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Effectively utilizes technology to make data-driven decisions.
- Proactively identifies trends and creates, as well as implements, new processes to support constant and iterative improvement.
- Strong operational, organizational, analytical, project management and technical skills.
- Disciplined, detail and deadline oriented, flexible to rapid change.
- Plans and manages multiple projects and work autonomously.
- Utilizes a variety of methods and media to facilitate managing, training, and teaming.
- Recruits and develops high performing teams
- Builds strong and diverse sets of working relationships across teams.
- Thinks and works independently and as a part of a team.
- Possesses strong conflict resolution skills and abilities to work well with others.
- Motivates, remains positive, engages team members, and leads by example.
- Collaborates with diverse stakeholders to impact/influence initiatives within as well as outside direct control.
- Conveys a professional image and effectively represent the department and institution as appropriate.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.