Purpose of the Position
Financial Literacy Specialist will serve as Financial Literacy experts and use these tools to coach and advise students on repayment requirements and financial obligations. In addition, they advise and package students who are eligible for other alternative sources of funding for their education.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as financial literacy experts for all students requesting additional funds, regardless of campus.
- Receive calls from all students that are choosing to receive additional funding.
- Actively explain repayment requirements, and financial obligations during and after school.
- Effectively guide and assist students through the additional loan request process (life skills assessment, repayment calculator and request form).
- Submit all completed and accurate additional loan requests to a Student Finance Director for approval.
- Repackage students approved for additional loans with their requested and approved amount of Stafford loan eligibility.
- Advise those students who are eligible for alternative sources of funding for their education of the terms and details of the alternative funding.
- Package and repackage students who agree to use alternative funding sources to cover their educational costs.
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Manager.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- 1-2 years of customer service experience.
- 1-2 years of accounting or finance experience.
Associated Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent customer service skills along with written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a proactive student finance environment.
- Must be computer and internet literate with knowledge, or ability to learn the Campus Vue.
- Must not have a federal student loan appearing on the NSLDS database with an unresolved default status reported.
- Must be eligible to access the National Student Loan Data Base (NSLDS).
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.