Purpose of the Position
A Program Director (PD) oversees the management of a program(s) and core courses as assigned and directly supervises the Program Faculty and Lead Faculty. As such, this position is responsible for the leadership and administration of assigned courses and faculty teams to lead a variety of Education department and institutional affairs including campus/program effectiveness plans, advisory boards, faculty council and committees, taskforce meetings, targeted student outreach, satisfactory academic progress, accreditation/certification, policy and procedure adherence, as well as faculty and staff hiring, supervision training and development. To lead retention, graduation and placement success of assigned program(s), the PD partners effectively and efficiently with the Associate Dean(s) of Online Programs to problem-solve and execute data-driven solutions to increase program health, curriculum viability, instructor performance, and student achievement.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
- Maintains an up-to-date program leadership and/or faculty file in accordance with UMA policy, state regulations and accrediting commission requirements including required meetings, in-services and continuing education units.
- Partners with Associate Dean to develop and sustain vision and strategic direction of program.
- Develops and nurtures strong relationships by providing subject expertise and serving as the academic liaison internally and externally.
- Ensures the implementation of team processes that lead to student success and contribute to the institution’s overall retention, placement, and student outcome goals.
- Monitors staffing needs to assist with recruiting full-time instructors, part-time instructors, laboratory technicians, adjunct instructors, program leadership, industry subject matter experts, and advisory board members.
- Collaborates with other departments and instructor teams to identify and implement continuous improvement strategies related to course content.
- Attends and participates in required school meetings and assists program leadership and cross-departmental teams as needed.
- Effectively communicates by email, telephone and face-to-face interaction with student, instructors, laboratory technicians, supervisors, and/or other school personnel.
- Partners effectively with the Associate Dean and Curriculum to refine UMA’s approach to curriculum, assessment and remediation.
- Partners effectively with General Education leadership to support associate degree program vision and strategy as it pertains to general education and elective courses.
- Partners effectively with Associate Dean to support Taskforce Meetings, Advisory Boards, UMA Cares, Student Code of Conduct, Scholastic Honesty, Disability Services, Faculty Training and Support, Annual Summit, and Commencement.
Results and Accountability
- Oversees Program Faculty and Lead Faculty for program(s) and core courses as assigned.
- Establishes performance indicators to assess course health, curriculum viability, instructor performance, and student achievement.
- Organizes and leads initiatives relative to the implementation of campus/program effectiveness plans to improve retention, graduation, placement as well as student, extern, employer and graduate satisfaction.
- Progress monitors student performance, engagement, persistence, and growth to facilitate problem-solving and data-driven solutions to increase program health, curriculum viability, instructor performance, and student achievement.
- Leads initiatives to implement data-driven solutions to improve program and course success including current instructional trends, emerging issues, and quality assurance team input, and student and advisory board feedback.
- Holds team members accountable to meet established goals and provides coaching as appropriate to improve individual performance as well as program and course health.
- Manages and supports team members in their roles as assigned, as well as in their career progressions.
Data-Driven Decision Making
- Leads cross content collaboration, team infrastructure, and effective problem-solving to develop action plan focused on the quality of program curriculum and instruction as well as multi-tiered supports/interventions.
- Creates a structure of forecasting for support needed to ensure student progress that facilitates, fosters, and promotes prevention and early intervention practices supported by collaborative efforts between instructors and advisors for students in program and core courses.
- Continuously reviews data to determine effectiveness of core and supplemental instruction including outcome measures (student performance, engagement, persistence, and growth) and progress monitoring data toward identified department and institutional goals.
- Effectively uses data to make adjustments to instruction, curriculum, and/or environment to inform decisions to improve student achievement in core courses.
- Ensures program team continues to develop as high performing instructors.
- Coordinates, supervises and supports externship and/or practicum experiences as needed.
- Conducts faculty observations and evaluations to support progress toward annual individual development plan goals.
- Leverages faculty performance data to review and approve faculty projections and course assignments.
- Establishes and maintains a positive, student-centered learning environment by exemplifying proper decorum and integrity for employees and requiring the same of students.
- Remains responsive to instructor and student needs and requests for support.
- Assumes leadership role in faculty meetings, Education Department leadership meetings, Taskforce Meetings, Advisory Boards and other working groups as assigned.
- Models instructional best practices, effective teaching/coaching techniques and a collegial, positive environment that promotes excellence in teaching and service.
- Exemplifies proper business acumen and online decorum and requires the same of staff.
- Establishes and drives an effective curriculum development and refinement process which incorporates feedback from a range of stakeholders including program leadership, faculty, advisory boards, taskforce members, and cross department partners.
- Maintains supervisory and technical knowledge by establishing and enhancing academic and professional networks, attending conferences and workshops, participating in professional associations to stay abreast of emerging issues and trends related to the program.
- Directs all academic affairs related to matters such as program transfer requests, program reentries, and multiple enrollments.
- Participates in the development of a program budget and expense management system.
- Performs other duties as requested and assigned to ensure the smooth functioning and integrity of school’s operations.
- Master’s degree or higher.
- Equivalent of 15 semester credits hours in the subject field.
- Academic preparation in the specific courses taught.
- Graduation from a program in the field.
- Minimum of three (3) years of occupational experience.
- An industry certification/licensure if consistent with employment in the healthcare field of instruction (all certifications/licensures must remain active and be maintained as required by State and/or accrediting commissions).
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel.
- Experience with computer and data entry skills with high level of accuracy.
- Experience in organizing, writing and presenting reports and presentations.
- One to three (1-3) years of customer service success in a people-oriented industry OR teaching with adult education including student advising, evaluation skills, and classroom instruction/coaching.
- Demonstrated success in applying adult learning principals and best practices to ensure mastery of program/course learning objectives.
- Proven track record of delivering successful results with non-traditional students preferred.
- Online teaching experience in an accredited post-secondary institution preferred.
- Experience with Blackboard Learn 9.1 and CampusVue experience preferred.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in online education or proprietary industry preferred.
- Three (3) or more years of education administrative and/or supervisory experience with teams in the delivery of academic and/or social services as well as student retention initiatives preferred.
Associated Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Upholds the highest standards of conduct, personal honesty and integrity.
- Demonstrates vision and understands the mission and purpose of a career college.
- Employs sound independent judgment, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Effectively utilizes technology to make data-driven decisions.
- Proactively identifies trends and creates, as well as implements, new processes to support constant and iterative improvement.
- Strong operational, organizational, analytical, project management and technical skills.
- Disciplined, detail and deadline oriented, flexible to rapid change.
- Plans and manages multiple projects and work autonomously.
- Utilizes a variety of methods and media to facilitate managing, training, and teaming.
- Recruits and develops high performing teams.
- Builds strong and diverse sets of working relationships across teams.
- Thinks and works independently and as a part of a team.
- Possesses strong conflict resolution skills and abilities to work well with others.
- Motivates, remains positive, engages team members, and leads by example.
- Collaborates with diverse stakeholders to impact/influence initiatives within as well as outside direct control.
- Conveys a professional image and effectively represent the department and institution as appropriate.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.