Ultimate Medical Academy’s (UMA) HR Team is looking to add an expert in the Leave of Absence area to the team. The Leave Administration Specialist must be experienced.
Ultimate Medical Academy (UMA), a non-profit organization, trains students for careers in healthcare that make a difference in their lives, and the lives of others. Founded in 1994, UMA has supported more than 50,000 students through graduation and beyond through both online and on campus programs.
The HR and Talent Acquisitions teams are part of UMA’s Shared Services. From developing student communications as part of the Marketing team to providing crucial data for UMA in Business Intelligence, Shared Services oversees various departments that all work to positively impact UMA and its students, graduates, and Team Members. Shared Services supports UMA, so UMA’s student services departments can in turn support our students.
We have an immediate job opening with the HR Team at our institutionally accredited school that focuses on healthcare education.
As a Leave Administration Specialist, you will have ownership and accountability for the full process of all UMA Leave of Absence types including FMLA, ADA, Military, Jury Duty, Religious Accommodations, bereavement and UMA specific leave programs. The Leave Administration Specialist owns all communication, support and education with the team member requesting/on leave, the business leadership and the third-party vendors that UMA partners with to ensure adherence to established benefit plans, company policies and procedures, and applicable state and federal laws.
Apply now to become a UMA Puma and join a great team of HR professionals!
What You’ll Be Doing:
Team Member Support:
- Manages team member situations pertaining to Leave of Absence administration which includes Short Term Disability, Federal and State Medical Leave and Unpaid LOA, including the complicated and unique leaves in CA.
- Communicates leave information to Team Members, including but not limited to communicating Medical, Dental, Life, STD, LTD and leave eligibility, informing Team Members of their rights, enrollment requirements and ability to make changes under UMA policy and applicable state and federal leave laws.
- Responds to complex inquiries from team members and leaders regarding LOA issues and information requests.
- Ensures that team members are aware of their responsibilities and of any documentation and notice required to qualify for and to take
- Handles the FMLA leave administration process from the team member’s initial notice of the need for leave to the return to work. This includes gathering and completing all required paperwork, determining leave eligibility, designating leave as FMLA-qualifying, requesting medical certification as needed, and accounting for intermittent and reduced schedule leave use.
- Maintains reasonable communication with team members on leave to facilitate smooth and timely return to work; relays communication between team members and their leaders during leave within reason.
- Advises leaders and team members on the interaction of leave laws with paid time off, workers compensation, and short-term and long-term disability benefits.
- Oversees the return-to-work process for team members returning from extended FMLA, workers compensation, or other leave(s).
- Facilitates other leave requests, which include accommodation requests under the ADA.
- Administers other company leave/time-off programs as assigned in accordance with internal policy and applicable laws.
- Create, document and maintain solid operational processes and practices to ensure compliance and consistency in the execution and administration of all Leave of Absence programs.
- Coordinate with third party administrator(s) to ensure that they secure and provide analysis of information pertaining to team member’s eligibility status, medical condition(s), occupational or employer requirements, and statutory regulations to accurately determine eligibility for leave.
- Tracks and monitors critical dates in the leave cycle and communicates with the team member and leader as appropriate.
- Demonstrates an in depth understanding of institutional HR policies and processes related to FMLA, ADA, Medical Non-FMLA, Military, and General LOAs.
- Develops leave related reports; monitors trends, provides insights and recommendations for action to HR/business leaders to improve team member experience while effectively managing costs.
- Maintains complete and accurate records of leave and accommodation requests in accordance with specified legal requirements and documentation of best practices.
- Preserves confidentiality of team member medical documentation and files.
- Maintains knowledge of all applicable leave and accommodation laws including the FMLA, ADA, and state and local laws.
- Participates in policy & program rollout initiatives.
Support Institutional Initiatives:
- Keep current on institutional goals, objectives, and progress
- Engage in institutional sponsored activities and initiatives as appropriate
- Manages and assists in coordinating efforts between departments within UMA
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
- Bachelor’s degree with a Human Resources or Business focus or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Leave Administration in a high leave volume organization
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in high-touch mid to large size organizations.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in Human Resources
- Extensive knowledge of the leave requirements and other legal protections afforded by the FMLA, ADA, and other applicable laws.
- Strong skills in using HRIS to look up information and upload documentation
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written. Must be able to communicate with all level of the organization as well as be able to adjust communication style appropriate to the person they are interacting with.
- Ability to appropriately maintain confidentiality.
- Proficient verbal and written English
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent time management, follow through, attention to detail, work ethic and initiative.
- Act independently and accomplish goals without direct supervision or relying on other staff members
- Ability to handle and manage multiple assignments and projects while effectively balancing schedules and ad hoc requests.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Able to support a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Completion of specialized certification or training on FMLA/leave administration a plus.
- Experience working with Third-Party Leave Administrators
- Experience with UltiPro HRIS software
- HR/Benefits/Leave focused certifications including PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, etc.
- Ergonomics and safety background
- Office Environment/Call Center - Must be able to work in the UMA Office for the majority of the work week.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position (sitting at a desk) for 80% of the time
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
UMA Employment Policies:
You are not eligible to work at UMA if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You were or are currently a UMA student (whether you graduated or not).
- You are related to a current UMA Team Member (parent, sibling, cousin, spouse, etc.).
- You were a previous UMA Team Member that is not eligible for rehire.