Purpose of the Position:
The Sr. Graphic Designer is responsible for translating marketing objectives into creative strategies, concepts and designs. The Sr. Graphic Designer will determine the most effective way to represent brand identity across multiple media channels. Working closely with senior management and the brand team, this position will manage graphic design for both electronic and print communications including but not limited to website development, print collateral development, trade shows, mailers, email, infographics, social, and digital advertising.
This role is people-oriented and involves working with internal clients, pitching designs, and understanding business objectives. This position will collaborate to conceive and finalize design for websites, Facebook apps, microsites, ad campaigns, landing pages, mobile sites, print collateral, motion graphics, environmental design and digital signage for our brands. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and have impeccable design and project management skills.
The Sr. Graphic Designer reports to the Creative Director.
- Supports the brand marketing and media teams to generate ideas to develop effective, results-driven creative marketing concepts.
- Demonstrates strong aesthetic skills with the ability to combine various design disciplines (color theory, typography, contrast, balance, repetition, alignment, etc.) to create high-value campaigns.
- Manage multiple projects from concept through completion under tight deadlines and budget constraints.
- Strong ability to provide clear creative direction and provide timely and helpful feedback to improve creative processes to keep work on budget and schedule.
- Follows design guidance and instruction to ensure all work meets design standards and expectations.
- Possesses a strong understanding of print processes.
- Researches the latest web, motion, print and environmental design trends to produce cutting-edge, high-standard products.
- Collaborates and supports the brand marketing and media teams on design and UI/UX ideas for execution on various media devices, including desktops, smartphones and tablets.
- Expert-level experience with the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects)
- A full portfolio demonstrating work in print, web design, motion graphics, social, environmental and other forms of media is a must.
- Provide quality control including proofing, reviewing, measuring and evaluating creative output performance.
- Promote continual creative improvement and actively contribute to a culture of innovation, excellence and accountability.
- Researches and quotes projects while adhering to budgets set forth by stakeholders
Team Member Leadership
- Manages junior designers to ensure all work produced meets client briefs.
- Mentors junior team members to ensure progression and improvement.
- Build a strong culture of accountability and performance
- Recruit, develop, and retain top performers
- Create and implement an effective onboarding plan for every team member
- Recruit, train and develop a team with skills and experience aligned to meet UMA’s needs and the market with a focus on retention
- Set clear expectations for all Team Members. Analyze goals, activities and results to determine action plans to improve individual and team performance per stated performance management guidelines.
- Ensure that UMA values are being demonstrated and policies are being followed.
Support Institutional Initiatives
- Keep current on institutional goals, objectives, and progress
- Engage in institutional sponsored activities and initiatives as appropriate
- Lead with courage in support of change initiatives that impact organization
- Manages and assists in coordinating efforts between departments within UMA
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
Work Experience, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Fine Arts or related field or equivalent creative development and management experience required and/or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience:
- Working with large-scale web sites, digital marketing, and advertising.
- Demonstrated expertise in the areas of layout, graphic design, typography, print design, brand development, interactive design, user-centered experience design, marketing and the creative process.
- Motion graphics experience.
- Environmental graphics.
- Marketing/advertising industry
- In a Graphic Designer role
- Working across various functional groups such as HR, IT, Sales, Finance, etc.
- Minimum one-year experience working in a virtual environment
- Demonstrates strong attention to visual details.
- Able to conceive and execute on motion graphics projects for across various digital media.
- Proven ability to concept and execute on environmental graphics endeavors.
- Proficient verbal and written English
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Technical Skills – Expert-level experience with the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects)
- Functional Skills – Communication, Time Management, Business Acumen,
- Able to support a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Excellent presentation skills and communication abilities at all levels of both internal and external organizations.
- Office Environment/Call Center/Home Office – Must be able to work in the UMA Office
- Up to 20% of travel required - Valid Driver’s License required
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Requires long periods of sitting at a desk working on a compute
- Requires ability to travel
- Requires occasional bending, stooping and squatting
- Requires occasional lifting of up to 10 lbs.