Purpose of the Position:
The Manager, Business Intelligence (BI), manages a team of BI analysts to derive actionable insights, support institutional decision making and improve business performance. Incumbent will variously implement or oversee analytical approaches on institutional data, including the use of appropriate visualizations and other c delivery methods, for presenting insights and recommendations to senior leaders for decision making, planning, and other purposes, as required.
- Coordinates with other departments to gather analytics requirements, scope of requests, aggregate data, determine metrics and benchmarks and validate data.
- Finds patterns within structured and unstructured business data and uses them to solve complex business problems.
- Works with cross-functional team members to identify and prioritize actionable, high-impact insights across a variety of core business areas.
- Translates highly technical analysis findings into business language and speaks credibly about those findings to senior leaders and other departmental stakeholders.
- Conducts project management across all stages of the solution development lifecycle (SDLC) from inception through sustainment or closure.
- Ensures successful analytical outcomes by proactively seeking clarification of requirements and direction.
- Applies practical knowledge of statistical and predictive modeling concepts, machine-learning approaches, clustering and classification techniques, and recommendation and optimization algorithms.
- Strong stakeholder service posture with demonstrated success in navigating a complex organization to achieve results
- Proficient in real-time analytics and business intelligence platforms with the ability to work with SQL databases such as MS SQL Server and ETL tools like SSIS.
- Expert level skills with using PowerBI and/or similar reporting platforms with experience in successful onboarding and training junior resources on the platform
- Experience with a distributed version control system (DVCS) such as Git or VSTS.
- Experience with continuous integration/delivery (CI/CD) tools such as GitLab, Jenkins, or Travis CI.
- Experience performing value stream mapping (VSM) of product workflows in a dynamic CI/CD environment.
- Experience in one or more analytics programming languages such as Python, R, Julia, SAS, or MATLAB and an interest in developing knowledge base in these languages.
- Experience with and interest in statistical and technical concepts for the broader team and inspires the adoption of reporting, advanced analytics and data science across the institution.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and other similar business tools such as Microsoft Teams.
Team Member Leadership:
- Recruit, train and develop a team with skills and experience aligned to meet UMA’s needs and the market with a focus on retention of top performers
- Build a strong culture of accountability and high performance
- Create and implement an effective onboarding and training plan for every team member
- Set clear expectations for all Team Members. Analyze goals, activities and results to determine action plans to improve individual and team performance per stated performance management guidelines.
- Ensure that UMA values are being demonstrated and policies are being followed.
Support Institutional Initiatives:
- Keep current on institutional goals, objectives, and progress
- Engage in institutional sponsored activities and initiatives as appropriate
- Lead with courage in support of change initiatives that impact organization
- Manages and assists in coordinating efforts between departments within UMA
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
Work Experience, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Mathematics, Natural Science, or Social Science.
- 5+ years of experience solving complex problems and delivering insights using quantitative approaches that blend statistical and technical skills.
- Deadline-driven with the ability to make decisions and solve problems working under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to communicate professionally in both verbal and written English.
- Able to communicate effectively and persuasively with senior management.
- Able to support a diverse and inclusive work environment
- MBA or Master’s degree in Finance, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Statistics, or Analytics.
- Lean/Six Sigma, PMP or CAPM certification.
- 2+ years of experience directly managing people, including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work.
- Office Environment – Must be able to work in the UMA Office
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Requires long periods of sitting at a desk working on a computer
- Requires occasional lifting of up to 10 lbs.