Purpose of the Position
This role has primary responsibility to provide support of the core business applications for UMA, and is Tier II/III end-user support of the same. This role will act as first level escalation for Tier I Service Desk and Tier II Deskside Support, but will field first level support for all Leadership, Executive and UMA affiliate employees. Members of the Production Engineering team will have shared knowledge and skillset of job responsibilities. There will be individually assigned primary responsibility for some specific core business applications. Team members in this role will be responsible for creating and maintaining up to date documentation and SOPs related to core business systems and processes so to effectively train other support team members as well as customers. Production Engineering team members will engage regularly with Application Owners so to stay atop changes, enhancements, bugs, fixes and updates. Production Engineering team members will engage in any outage, as assigned to core business applications, to include up to resolution and RCA processing. Necessary team members will attend Change Management discussions and will participate in Problem Management processes.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ability to multi-task and to ensure that overall priorities are being met.
- Ability to work with cross-functional IT teams as well as business customers and vendors.
- Advanced PC skills, including advanced knowledge of operating systems, hardware, Office 365 and associated applications.
- Can work in an on-call capacity and possesses the acumen to escalate when needed even during non-standard business hours.
- Must be able to understand and interpret requirements while researching issues to provide resolutions to end-users.
- Must be comfortable working with and training internal customers, call centers, and technical teams.
- Must have strong verbal and written communications skills, strong analytical skills, and understand data.
- Should possess excellent leadership skills.
- Familiarity with the industry to which the employer belongs.
- Has a keen sense of business processes and understands how end-user-level problem reports fit into the larger business process ecosystem.
- It is essential that the team member is a self-starter and able to prioritize work independently while at the same time, be a team player and collaborate with technology and business teams and interact with end-end-users to meet critical timelines.
- Must have excellent organizational skills, possess strong analytical skills, be detail-oriented, customer focused, able to complete duties with a high level of accuracy and excited about working under tight deadlines in a fast paced, agile development environment.
- Willing to work occasional weekends and/or after hours; this could include repeat nights or weekends in series, likewise there will be extended periods of time with no extra hours.
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
Individual Job Responsibilities
The UMA IT Production Engineer Level 1 role…
- Will be responsible for Tier II/III support for all implemented UMA Education core business applications and processes to the UMA Education end-user community.
- Will have a responsibility for training, related to core business application use, to the end-user as well as training/coaching to Tier I support. Will work closely with application owners for purposes of in-depth support to include but not limited to:
- End-end-user support and training, new features and updates, end-user issues and requests, patching, bug fixes as well as sharing a role in many core application upgrades or migrations including DEV and UAT testing.
- As a customer advocate, listens to the desires and expectations of the customer, can communicate clearly with all parties detailing requirements as well as explaining processes, technical issues and workflows.
- Will be secondary or backup support to the Level II Deskside support team as it pertains to the job description for that role.
As a member of the UMA IT Production Engineering Team, the Production Engineer I will be expected to obtain a strong comprehension of the following areas:
- The UMA Student Life Cycle and where and how their individual support to the UMA end-user affects the student.
- Connectivity to, the use of and the ability to enhance features and functions to the customer of Campus Nexus.
- Effectively support Campus Nexus related applications like iDash & LSiDash and Image Now.
- Connectivity to and the authentication process to the UMA LMS, Blackboard, as well as its Collaborate products.
- Specific team members will be assigned additional Blackboard support responsibilities.
- Likewise, specific team members will be assigned primary responsibility for the Starfish student retention application.
- A thorough understanding of all steps included in the manual processes of all end-user account management, including associated licensing, pertaining to all systems acquired, built, deployed and supported by UMA IT. This will include but is never limited to:
- Active Directory, Azure/Office 365, Campus Nexus, Blackboard LMS including the Collaborate products and BB Express, ODS, Image Now, DocuSign, Interactive Intelligence I3 & MCS, BACON, ZOHO products.
- A better than basic ability to support such IT industry products and processes like:
- Microsoft operating systems, LAN/WAN connectivity and associated – protocols, commands and troubleshooting techniques, IT ticket management applications, LAN printing, LAN file/folder sharing, and file/folder backup and restore processes.
- Willingness and ability to learn and support the UMA Telecommunications system, Interactive Intelligence I3 including associated support and client applications.
- Supporting the business as it pertains to issues and requests related to SharePoint sites and security.
- Standard office equipment, such as copy machines and printers
- Able to utilize such tools as SQL and PowerShell programming for purposes of simplifying and automating manual tasks.
- Compliant in the responsibilities of document retention and email retention. This will include understanding the process and purpose of retaining end-user data for the required timeframes as dictated by the UMA Legal, HR and Compliance teams.
- Identifies and pursues personal training opportunities related to enhancing job related skill sets.
Production Engineering Team responsibilities
The IT Production Engineering Team…
- Acts as liaison between end end-users, technical teams, and business teams.
- Will manage all support to the company’s Leadership, Executive teams and subsidiary companies.
- Manages all issues escalated by end-users as well as first and second level support in a timely manner including those that require support by third & forth level support roles.
- Will use the support capabilities of the team’s System Administrator for all concerns network related, before engaging any Infrastructure Services team member.
- Will work with other IT teams as well as Finance to provide necessary technical assistance in identifying and evaluating automated systems and related procedures that are cost effective and meet business requirements.
- Works with end-user groups to provide training, resolve questions, assess end-user needs and recommend changes to automated processes.
- Will identify, diagnose and escalate where necessary, within the Service Center processes, any end-user system or application related Problems
- Monitor shared e-mail inbox, MS Teams site and ticket escalations.
- Own responsibility in the development and updating of training materials for end end-users and level I support, to include the continuous management of the chosen Knowledgebase.
- Will manage the technical aspects of all audit processes as it pertains to UMA and its accreditor(s), the DOE and other organizations.
Required (If no certification, completion of no less than two approved certifications required within 18 months and three within 24 months of accepting the job offer.)
Associated Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to direct, lead or supervise others.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Ability to own or manage escalations to senior leaders within IT to assist with triage calls.
- Experience working within a Microsoft environment.
- Experience working within an ITSM/ITIL model Framework.
- Requires long periods of sitting at a desk working on a computer.
- Fine motor skills will be stressed using computer equipment daily and paperwork processing.
- Requires occasional bending, stooping and squatting
- There will be opportunities of walking, stair climbing or descending, pushing or pulling or lifting equipment up to 50 lbs. or more.