Purpose of the Position:
The Associate Vice President, Finance manages the daily activities of UMA’s Corporate Accounting team. The Associate Vice President, Finance is responsible for the general accounting of the organization as well as financial system administration, financial audits, and tax.
The Associate Vice President, Finance reports to the Senior Vice President, Finance.
- Direct and manage the general accounting operations of the organization including accounts payable, treasury, revenue, and general ledger
- Oversee the timely and accurate financial close and issuance of financial reporting
- Ensure that all accounting policies and procedures and financial reporting conform to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Develop, implement, and enhance internal controls policies and procedures to safeguard assets of the organization
- Prepare cash flow forecast and monitor cash position and compliance with key stakeholder covenants
- Develop with head of procurement and Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team annual capital expenditure budget and monitor ongoing performance
- With Senior Vice President (SVP), Finance lead and coordinate the external financial statement audit
- Plan, lead and participate in internal financial audits
- Administer general ledger system and related applications as well as establish structure and control in these systems to ensure GAAP, regulatory and statutory compliance
- With SVP, Finance, lead tax planning and compliance with required federal, state, local, payroll, property, and other applicable taxes
- Protect the organization by keeping financial information confidential and implementing sound document/data security policies and retention policies
- Participate in the budgeting and reforecasting process
- Stay abreast of ongoing changes in accounting standards, trends, and regulations to ensure effectiveness and compliance and advise senior management on the potential impacts
- Assist senior management in results management and strategic planning and provide recommendations and guidance as required
- Work closely with other leaders of the finance team and collaborate with other departments relating to financial and tax matters
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Team Member Leadership
- Build a strong culture of accountability and high performance
- Manage recruitment and oversee training of new team members to ensure the department is staffed with qualified, highly performing team members
- Serve as a mentor and coach with the objective of developing, motivating and retaining high-performing team
- Set clear expectations for all Team Members. Analyze goals, activities and results to determine action plans to improve individual and team performance per stated performance management guidelines.
- Ensure that UMA values are being demonstrated and policies are being followed.
Support Institutional Initiatives
- Keep current on institutional goals, objectives, and progress
- Engage in institutional sponsored activities and initiatives as appropriate
- Lead with courage in support of change initiatives that impact organization
- Manages and assists in coordinating efforts between departments within UMA
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
Work Experience, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration or related field.
- Public accounting experience
- 10 years of progressive professional experience with at least 5 years in finance and accounting management
- Experience as a people leader
- Demonstrate skills in: Financial management, cash and treasury management, GAAP accounting, general ledger and financial reporting system administration
- Demonstrate technical knowledge of financial system and other business applications
- Demonstrate strong analytical and organizational skills
- Corporate tax experience
- Demonstrate excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to professionally communicate fluently in verbal and written English
- Demonstrate superior integrity, advanced decision making, and problem solving.
- Ability to stay focused in stressful situations and display solid business acumen
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and other business tools such as Microsoft Teams.
- Able to support a diverse and inclusive work environment
- MBA or Master’s degree in an accounting or finance or related field.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Post-secondary educational industry experience.
- Not-for-profit accounting experience.
- Requires long periods of sitting at a desk working on a computer
- Requires ability to travel
- Requires occasional lifting of up to 10 lbs.