Purpose of the Position:
Responsible for, but not limited to, providing assistance to students in their development and on-going achievement of education goals, providing students with academic planning services based on UMA program requirements and support services, and promoting student success and retention through effective communication, service, and support.
The Learner Services Advisor reports to the Manager, Learner Services.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Contacts students on a regular basis to build and maintain rapport and serves as the student’s advisor and first point of contact to ensure questions are answered and concerns are resolved.
- Assists students with questions related to course navigation, academic policies, course expectations, technical assistance, and other student support services.
- Provides guidance to at-risk students to ensure student success.
- Provides on-going student retention efforts
- Participates in process improvement initiatives.
- Calls students to procure proper forms and paperwork as needed.
- Develops through knowledge of web properties, processes and policies to be used daily in Learner Services
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and carefully follows all applicable federal and state compliance requirements and regulations including those prescribed by the Department of Education, accrediting agencies, CIE, and internal UMA policies and procedures.
- Effectively communicates compliance requirements to students and other staff as appropriate and quickly escalates any compliance concerns to the Compliance department.
Work Experience, Skills & Abilities:
- Minimum of Highschool Diploma
- Minimum 1 years’ experience in customer service or hospitality-related role
- Proficient verbal and written English
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
- Proficient in time management of competing priorities
- Ability to learn technical support skills
- Able to support a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Associate’s/Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree
- 1-2+ years’ experience in the student services, academic advising, or education industry
- Experience with metric-driven data management systems and/or workflow tools
- Office Environment - Must be able to work in the UMA Office
- Must be able to wear a headset for long periods of time
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
- This job cannot be performed in Colorado
- Requires long periods of sitting at a desk working on a compute
- Requires occasional bending, stooping and squatting
- Requires occasional lifting of up to 10 lbs.